Phillips Flashback: November 5, 1960

A view on 21st Street, NW, of the 1960 annex. Photo: Phillips Collection Archives

A new wing, known as the annex and designed by the firm Wyeth and King, opens. Joined to the 1907 Music Room addition and the 1920 Main Gallery addition by a glass bridge, the new space is hailed in the Sunday Star and the Washington Post as a successful addition to the architecture of Washington. “What you will see will be a small masterpiece of modern museum design and a rare example of quiet brilliance in the installation of art for public view,” writes Frank Getlein in the Sunday Star. The Post’s Leslie Judd Ahlander writes:

The biggest and best art news in Washington this week is that the Phillips Gallery is open again and the new wing can now be seen. . . . Inside, the Duncan Phillipses have happily followed the most successful feature of the old gallery: comfortable chairs and tables, beautifully decorated rooms (the work of Marjorie Phillips) rugs in the floors and large ashtrays on every table, inviting the visitor to sit down and relax in a home-like atmosphere.

The annex’s first iteration will live a relatively brief life, renovated in 1989 by Arthur Cotton Moore and Associates.

Phillips Flashback: June 15, 1923

The Phillips family house at 21st and Q Streets NW, built in 1897

The Phillips family house at 21st and Q Streets NW, built in 1897. (Left) Circa 1900, the house as originally conceived. (Right) 1930s, after the House had been expanded three times, the most recent addition in 1923 to add Marjorie's studio, a library, and nursery as a fourth floor. Photos: Phillips Collection Archives

The Phillipses are granted a building permit by the District of Columbia for an addition designed by local architect Frank H. Brooke. The permit calls for “a full fourth story by changing the present roof and making a mansard roof . . .” which provides Marjorie Phillips with studio space for painting, as well as a small library and a nursery. The estimated cost for the work is $6,500.